Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Art of Conversation

I think one of the biggest problems I have right now is the inability to talk to someone I don't really know. Sure, we can go through the formalities of what they do and what their names are, but what happens next?

Whenever I see people who are strangers just hit it off, it always gets my head in a knot-like mess. How do these people do it? How do they break the barriers of years of different lifestyles in a matter of minutes?

I think my goal...if not these year, then for the next five, will be to master this art of conversation. Even if I have to learn French to do it. Je parle un peu le francais.

Anyway...if you're someone I don't know and you come up to me...this is really how it's going to go.

You : Hi.
Me : Hello.
You : My name's ..
Me: I am Yashna.
You: Nice to meet you.
Me: Yeah, you too.
You: So what are you doing now?
Me: Studying. You?
You : *insert answer*
...and a bunch of polite smiles thrown in here and there.

This is typically the end of a conversation with me, esp. if you never see me again.

For those who already know me, only by name for some of you, then I apologize. I am truly sorry if I made it hard on you when talking to me...and perhaps now it's too late.

All I want you to know is that you shouldn't hold my lack of social skills against me, because I'll be trying now.

Trying to know the person you are, and hopefully allowing you to be one of the better people in my life.

I look forward to meeting you. Goodnight.

1 comment: